Saturday, August 28, 2010

My Writing Experience


I am trying to look back in time to remember the first time I had to face a writing task. I am trying very hard but to tell the truth, I do not remember being exposed much to writing until I was 16. It all started when I was doing one of the last levels at Cambridge English Institute, where I studied. I am almost sure that those were not good times for my writing.

    Taking into account all the experience that I have gained since my first year at the Prof, I can now reflect upon my previous experience. Looking with a critical eye, I can certainly say that I had not been provided with enough tools and good pieces of advice on how to write in a successful and clear way before I started the Prof. 

Entering the Prof was an eye-opener for me. Actually, attending the second year subjects was a before and after in my life. It was not that in first year the teachers had not taught us in a proper way, but I think that it has to do with a personal growth. There is always a critical moment in everyone’s life when you see the light and you start looking at life in a different way. 

   While attending Language II, I was encouraged to express my ideas and experiences in a way I had never been able to do before. I was able to approach writing in different ways, thinking before writing. I will always be grateful because I think that my Language II teacher was able  to pass on me all his knowledge and made me feel confident, enthusiastic and willing to write. 

    It is not that I consider myself a great writer who would deserve an award for what I write. I would not 
 dare say that if I wrote a book it would sell like hot cakes, but I think I am getting better with the passing of 
 time.  Of course not all the effort is on the teacher’s side but I believe it is key to encourage students and find 
 creative ways of helping them to soldier on and not give up writing.

1 comment: